Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rugby Game

After getting back from the Coromandel, I had to immediately shower and walk/jog to meet the group going to the rugby game. It was a great deal. For $15 we got tickets to the game, transportation to and from, and they provided food before and after(and one free drink). The game featured the Auckland Blues and the Durban (South Africa) Sharks. The Sharks had a surprisingly good crowd there, but I'm guessing many of them live in NZ. I have met a good number of Kiwis who were born in S. Africa.

The atmosphere at the game surprised me. I expected crazy fans similar to the chanting masses at European soccer games. Instead, it felt more like I was at a baseball game. The crowds were generally quiet and relaxing, apart from big moments in the game. There were still some interesting characters in the stands. A man next to our group was wearing a wedding gown, and we were told it was part of his bachelor's party.
The game was close and high scoring, but from my limited knowledge of the game it seemed the Auckland Blues let many big chances slip by, and this cost them the win. Afterwards, we waited for some of the players to come by for pictures and autographs.

1 comment: