Thursday, May 7, 2009

Semester Break 1

I had two weeks for fall (spring) break and all I did was travel, so I will split the trip into a few sections.

I had been stuck on the North Island all semester and wanted to see the South Island during break. Everyone told me the scenery was amazing compared to up north, which I had no complaints about. I left in a rental car after class on Friday. Kim traveled with me for the first week of the trip. We have almost nothing in common and I think we knew that going into the trip, but we traveled together with no issues. Taupo was our stop the first night. Lake Taupo is the largest in New Zealand, and the city is close to the Mt. Rupehu aka Mt. Doom from Lord of the Rings fame. I wouldn't mind going back to Taupo for a weekend if I get the chance. From Taupo we drove south to Wellington. Many of the small towns in NZ have an odd attraction similar to the giant ball of yarn in the US. We decided to get our picture taken at every large tank, fish, boot, and bull we passed.

The computer is working a bit slow right now, so I'll cut the post short. I leave you with.......

The Cookie Time Plane- This creepy red Muppet outcast appears outside of every gas station in NZ.

The Bulls Bull- The town of Bulls really went overboard. Outside of a real estate office a sign reading "Live-a-Bull." Other stores with "Afford-a-Bull" or "Comfort-a-Bull." It was a "Remark-a-Bull" sight.


Wellington Beehive- This one is a bit more functional. The Beehive is the legislative building of the NZ government, and has a resemblence to a hive. The columned capitol building in the corner was also good to explore.
That's all for now folks. Much, much more to come when the computer feels like carrying more of a load. For the first time this semester I believe the weather is better in Illinois than in Auckland. I wore a hoodie and jeans to keep warm today, and the rain was relentless.

No comments:

Post a Comment