Saturday, June 27, 2009

Waikaremoana Great Walk

I had to look up the name for this one again, because it's a mouthful. This walk was near the center of the North Island, and we knew it was going to be cold. We had a three day weekend for the Queen's Birthday, so we had the three days recommended for this hike.

Getting there was a chore. We left Friday evening and stayed in Rotorua at a Western-themed hostel. Owners can get pretty creative with their accommodations here. I have heard of everything from remodeled prisons to railroad cars being used as hostels. There was even a floating hostel off the coast of Abel Tasman National Park.

Saturday we left early because we had heard bad things about the last section of the drive. There is one road going through the park, and only brief sections around the towns are paved. The road zigzags around mountains and valleys, and we have always thought of the NZ roadsigns as very arbitrary. Every now and then, there would be a sign warning of a sharp turn, even though we had just gone around five just as bad with no signs. Gives someone a job I guess. We also had to dodge the occasional cow lounging in the road.

Our car was a trooper once again

After arriving at the lake, we hopped on a water taxi to get to the trailhead. The first day was mainly uphill. The trail cut through the most interesting forest I had seen in NZ. Usually, I get tired of looking at trees and want a lookout onto the countryside, but there was so much going on here. Trees shot up at bizarre angles, and ferns and other plants grew at nearly every fork in the branches. Adding to the unreal effect was the weather. It didn't seem right to be looking at very tropical plants while wearing gloves, a hat, and several layers.


I'll just call it Lake W

The rain/snow still holding off


Looking up towards the canopy

The first night was cold, and the hut had only a very pathetic gas stove for heat, and it was far from the bunks. I wore most of my clothes and my hat to sleep. The second day was numerous up and downs. We loosely followed the lake shore. Kevin, Joe, and I were walking at a much quicker pace than Maura and her friend's sister, Allison. Allison is a U of I graduate and is working at a vineyard near Auckland. I found out her friends were past residents of the house I will live in next semester. Weird.

It was Allison's first hike and I don't think she realized how far we needed to go that day. Maura probably realized they were going too slow, but is too nice to be imposing. We took an hour long sidetrip to a waterfall and took a long break at a couple's backcountry hideaway. Their house is right on the trail, and they offered us tea and cookies. College students don't say no to offers such as this. Then we walked another hour (during which it started to snow) and were at the next hut. Maura and Allison weren't there yet, and as the sun set nearly two hours later there was still no sign of them. Then we heard a boat motor, and the man at the cabin had given the two stragglers a ride. I have yet to meet an unhelpful Kiwi.



Side trip to a waterfall, had some close calls crossing this stream

Snow and palm trees, like peanut butter and jelly
The next day we all stuck together, and I think everyone was comfortable with the pace. The walk had become wet and muddy, and the water taxi zipped us back from another wonderful tramp.
Cold morning

Everyone ready to get out of the damp cold

Sidenote: They have cut the internet off in our flats. I am at the commons writing this one. We'll see how much more I can finish before I come back home. This means probably no Skyping until I get back. Won't be long.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, Henry, I'm almost sad that you are coming home. . . I'll miss your photography and narratives! (ALMOST) What absolutely beautiful pictures! Won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete